Friday, February 1, 2008

Community life...

One of the pleasures of living the Dumont d'Urville life is being on cleanup detail every now and again. This detail includes laying the tables, serving, clearing and washing up after three meals, as well as cleaning all communal living areas. Three people are assigned to this detail every day, with one of the three on lighter "backup" duty.

I was "backup" in today's cleanup detail. In order to avoid what I consider to be the worst aspects of the job (floor and toilet duty) I volunteered from the start to do all the washing up. I had already had some experience at washing up efficiently for this number of people atConcordia, where I was on "dishes detail" twice in two weeks (the second time was the day I left - the last thing I did at Concordia was wash dishes...).

For my family and others who know me well and may have trouble believing I could wash up three times a day for sixty people, the photo above should serve as proof...